Fort Stewart, Georgia — August 6, 2025
An Army sergeant is in custody after allegedly shooting five soldiers on Wednesday morning at Fort Stewart, one of the largest U.S. Army bases in the country. All five victims were hospitalized and are now in stable condition.
According to military officials, the suspect has been identified as 28-year-old Sergeant Quornelius Samentrio Radford. He is accused of using a personal handgun during the shooting, which occurred just before 11 a.m. inside the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team area.
Soldiers at the scene quickly tackled and disarmed the shooter before military police arrived. Radford was taken into custody by 11:35 a.m., just minutes after the initial shots were fired.
The incident led to an immediate lockdown of Fort Stewart and nearby areas, including local schools. The lockdown was lifted shortly after the scene was secured.
Three of the victims underwent emergency surgery, while two others were transported to a trauma center. All five remain under medical care but are expected to recover.
Radford, a native of Jacksonville, Florida, had been in the Army since 2018 as an automated logistical specialist. Officials confirmed he had no previous deployments and no known disciplinary history. However, it was revealed he had been arrested for DUI in May 2025, and the Army was only made aware of the charge after the shooting.
Investigators are still working to determine the motive. They are also reviewing how Radford managed to bring a weapon onto the base, as personal firearms are tightly restricted on military property.
Fort Stewart is home to the 3rd Infantry Division and thousands of soldiers and their families. Army leaders said this kind of violence is rare on base and expressed gratitude for the fast response by the troops who intervened.
Army officials said Radford will face military justice, and charges are expected soon. The FBI and other federal authorities are assisting with the ongoing investigation.
This marks one of the most serious on-base shootings in recent years and has raised renewed concerns about safety and mental health within the armed forces.